Sunday 3 November 2013

Chinese herbal emperor chicken




This is one of the dishes that I'm most familiar with. Besides fried rice, spaghetti, my signature black pepper fish and whatnot, this is the easiest to prepare and serve for your loved ones. Most Chinese will be familiar with this dish, the Herbal Emperor Chicken. However, I'm unable to provide the exact ingredients as the lady from the Medical Hall usually wrap the herbs up and hand it over. Lol.. It's not that I'm unwilling to share! However, I used to follow this recipe I found online:




Ingredients:
  • 1 Chicken, cleaned
  • 500ml Water (adjust accordingly to your preference)
  • Salt to taste
Assorted Herbs in approximate weight:
  • 24g Huai Shan 淮山 (Radix Dioscoreae Oppositae)
  • 18g Dang Shen 党参 (Codonopsis Pilosulae)
  • 16g Yu Zhu 玉竹 (Solomon's Seal Rhizome)
  • 22g Long Yan Gan 龙眼干 (Dried Longan)
  • 10g Gou Qi Zi 枸杞子 (Wolfberries)
  • 6 Hong Zao 红枣 (Red Dates)
  • 3g Chuan Gong 川芎 (Szechwan Lovage Rhizome)
  • 5g Tang Gui 当归 (Angelica Sinensis)
  • 15g Bei Qi 北芪 (Astragalus Membranaceus)

I'll steam the chicken for approximately 2 hours before serving. If you're worried that the soup may taste bland, you can start off with just a cup of water. 


Uhhh...... yes, I am sure.

I remember chopping the head off the chicken for the very first time -- I was shaking real badly and flung the head towards the basin after it was detached from it's body. No it wasn't the end. Non-stop apologizing to the chicken, I almost screamed after pulling it's feet out from it's a$s. Really, I almost died on the spot and was reluctant to touch any meat for a week or two after that. Yes, it WAS that bad. 



Ok I digress. The herbs are really good at nourishing your body so do try it out if you have the time. 
Good luck! 


Ciao!
- SF







1 comment: